Welcome to our FAQs page! If you have FAQs you don't see on this list, we could use your assistance!! Please Contact Us with your question and if it's a common question that will benefit other visitors, we'll add it to our list of FAQs. Thank you!!
- Why do you have a unicorn as your logo?
- Must I register on your site?
- If I register on your site, will I be put on a mailing list?
- I need to make changes to my profile. Where can I do that?
- Why do you use SkyDrive for your project and class files?
- How do I access my SkyDrive folder?
- Do I have to have a PayPal account to purchase any services or classes on this site?
- Do I have to purchase a service before an agreement is made?
- I've purchased a service, but my project was not accepted for an agreement. What happens to my money?
- Why don't you accept all projects?
- Can I submit my manuscript to you for publication? If so, what are your guidelines?
- Why are some of the sub-classes in the series out of order in the list?
- Where do I find the list of classes available?
- How do I REGISTER on your site?
- How do I sign up for classes?
- Where do I find a list of MY classes I've signed up for?
- Can I cancel a class I've paid for and get a refund?
- I've started a class and had to stop in the middle. How do I get back to where I left off?
- How do I bookmark a class and use my bookmark?
- How long will it take for my instructor to grade my assignments?
General Website Information FAQs
1. Why do you have a unicorn as your logo?
Arial speaking here: As an author, I spent several years (nigh on two decades) trying to obtain the status of “published”. My favorite animal is the unicorn…and getting published seemed—to me—just as elusive as catching the mythical creature. Unicorns represent the seemingly unattainable, but I used to have a bookmark when I was in high school—when I first started writing seriously—that had a picture of a unicorn and it read, “Some things need to be believed before they can be seen.” How very true of obtaining our own goals as writers. To succeed at writing, we must believe in ourselves, see ourselves as writers, as published…believe first that we can obtain our dreams.My favorite quote mirrors this sentiment:
“If you think you can, or you think you can't…either way, you're right.” ~Henry Ford
AJ and I believe that we can help writers bridge that gap between aspiring to be an author and being an author. As our desire to be published was once a dream, we know we can help other authors achieve that dream. And so the unicorn embodies that belief. Come dream with us!
Back to Top
2. Must I register on your site?
No, but as a visitor, you will have limited access to our offerings. Registering on our site is FREE and only takes a few moments. Here are the benefits when you register:
- You will have access to use all our free online classes.
- You'll be able to interact with other writers through our free class forums.
- You'll have access to editors, who are available for questions regarding the publishing industry.
- You'll be entered in some of our quarterly drawings to win some of our services, books, classes and other prizes.
- You'll qualify for our REFERRAL PROGRAM where you can earn free classes, services or even cash for telling your friends about us (conditions apply).
3. If I register on your site, will I be put on a mailing list?
Back to Top
4. I need to make changes to my profile. Where can I do that?
Before you can make any changes to your profile or manage anything related to your account, be sure to login. Once you've done so, you should see an administration bar along the top of the website. On the far-right side of this bar, it should read, “Howdy, [YOUR NAME].:
- Hover your mouse over your name and a sub-menu will appear
- Click on Edit My Profile to go to your profile page. We invite you to explore the various other options on this sub-menu, which include your MESSAGES within our system so you can communicate with your instructor and other students, GROUPS to see which classes you've registered for, and SETTINGS where you can change your PASSWORD…just to name a few. Please note that this profile information is separate from your purchasing profile, which can be access under the CHECKOUT > PURCHASING HISTORY under the main menu.
- Notifications—If another student has sent you a message, if you've been enrolled in a class, or there are updates that pertain to you, the little number just to the left of your “Howdy” greeting will register the number of NOTIFICATIONS you have. Clicking on this will take you to that view.
5. Why do you use SkyDrive for your project and class files?
Our services are designed to give the writer a genuine experience of interacting with an editor through the editing process. However, we're not keen on amping that experience up to include the typical long waiting times akin to the real editing process. As such, it's much easier for us to manage documents with our clients through folders we create on Microsoft's SkyDrive cloud. This prevents us from having to sort through stacks of e-mails and thereby give your project and class assignments the attention they deserve.
Also, some of the projects we do are graphics – web and ad banners, eBook and print covers – and graphics can sometimes get pretty large. The SkyDrive allows us to forego the hassle of files being too large to e-mail.
When a client signs up for their first class or initiates a project, we create a new folder with their name and include a link to that folder in their confirmation e-mail. Any future confirmations they receive will have a reminder link of that same folder. Though it is not necessary for you to have a Live.com, Microsoft or Hotmail account to access the folder, Microsoft will require you to login if you wish to upload a document to the folder. As such, we recommend creating an account. It's free and it's easy!
A SkyDrive account gives you the advantage of having 2GB of free space available to you, which is accessible anywhere you have an Internet connection. This is a great way for an author to store their current projects so they're able to access them wherever they may be. Please visit SkyDrive.com to learn about these convenient features. (No, we aren't getting a kick-back from Microsoft. We wish! We just really like the service and enjoy sharing a good thing!)
6. How do I use my SkyDrive folder?
Here's how to use and access your shared folder on our SkyDrive:
- Click on the link provided in the confirmation e-mail for your project or your class. Additionally, you may have already received an e-mail with a direct link to the folder.
- That link should take you directly to the folder.
- If this is your first visit to your new folder, we recommend you create a bookmark in your browser so you can go back to your folder with ease.
- Click on the UPLOAD button at the top of the screen to add a document to your folder. (If you're not already logged in to your Microsoft or SkyDrive account, it will prompt you to login at this time OR create a new account.)
- A window will appear, giving you the ability to find your file, wherever you saved it on your computer.
- Select your file and click OK.
- SkyDrive will upload your file to your folder.
- CLASSES: If you're uploading your assignment for grading, please go back to your class assignment and complete the assignment quiz, letting your instructor know your assignment is ready for editing.
The pictures below show the various options available to you for your folder, such as uploading your files, downloading files your editor places in your folder, etc. Please click on these images below to enlarge them and see further instructions on using your SkyDrive shared folder.
If you're still having problems accessing your folder or using documents, please contact us and we'll make arrangements to walk you through the procedures.
Services Offered Through Our Site FAQs
1. Do I have to have a PayPal account to purchase any services or classes on this site?
- When you're ready to pay for your purchases, click on the CHECKOUT link in the side-bar shopping cart summary OR in the main menu.
- Fill out the contact information form (which will be saved in your profile for future purchases). If you're not logged in or haven't yet registered, you will be asked to do so at this time.
- Verify the items in your cart are correct. If not make corrections.
- Be sure to read our Terms and Conditions before ticking the checkbox acknowledging you agree to them.
- Once you're ready to pay for your items, click the PURCHASE button at the bottom of the checkout screen. NOTE: This will take you to our PayPal checkout screen where you should see the Mystical Press logo at the top of the page.
- As pictured to the right, you should see the “Don't have a PayPal account?” area. Click on that to change to the checkout screen where you'll enter your payment information. NOTE: This information is confidential and through PayPal. Neither Mystical Press nor any persons performing services through Mystical Press have access to this information.
- Follow the rest of the instructions on the PayPal checkout process. You will be given an option to return to the Mystical Press site once your transaction is complete, which is where you'll receive a confirmation. Additionally, any purchases you've made through our site will be in your transaction history (minus your payment information, which is confidential as mentioned in step 6).
Once a purchase is made through our site, you will be contacted within 24 hours with further instructions.
Back to Top
2. Do I have to purchase a service before an agreement is made?
Nope! Actually, we prefer you contact us first to be sure we are the right people to perform the job for your project. Purchasing through our site is a convenience we've made available for our clients who have already discussed their projects with us OR who have used our services before. However, anyone is welcome to purchase any service or product through our website.
If we have not yet reached an agreement with you regarding your purchase, we will contact you immediately to discuss the details. Anyone who purchases services for a project we do not take on for whatever reason will have their money refunded promptly. To avoid any refunds, though, we encourage you to contact us first.
Back to Top
3. I've purchased a service, but my project was not accepted for an agreement. What happens to my money?
If you have found your way to our site and purchased a service before speaking to us, but for some reason the project was not accepted, we will refund your money promptly! Please see our Cancelation Policy. If you have any questions about your purchases, please contact us.
Back to Top
4. Why don't you accept all projects?
Our goal is to make sure your project is a right fit for us…and we're a right fit for your project. Due to our very busy schedule, we have to be selective about our projects and ensure that both we and our clients are spending our time and money wisely. If extensive work is needed on a project, then larger fees are involved…usually at unaffordable rates for some clients. However, we do give advice and suggestions on how to proceed or make improvements to your current project so it does fit into our schedule and your budget. Any project we don't accept will have a thorough explanation as to why it is not accepted and what options are available for moving forward.
Please know that our policy is designed to improve you as an author. The advice we offer will always point you in the direction we feel will advance your career and increase your chances of getting published. We were once in your shoes and are eager to impart wisdom we wished someone would have taken the time to give us when we were first starting out. Let's all work together as a team toward crafting the best novels we can create! 😉
Back to Top
5. Can I submit my manuscript to you for publication? If so, what are your guidelines?
Mystical Press Services is not a publisher, so we do not accept manuscripts for publication under Mystical Press. It would be a conflict of interest if we were to charge you to edit your manuscript and then be your editor at the publishers where we are employed. So, no, we cannot accept any manuscripts for consideration for publishing.
Online Classes FAQs
1. Why are some of the sub-classes in the series out of order in the list?
Due to the nature of the BuddyPress social networking plugin we're using to list our classes, they tend to favor a dynamic environment where the most recent activity is listed on top. If updates are done to the courseware, it tends to mess with the order of things. Though you can use the ORDER BY drop-down list to sort the classes ALPHABETICALLY, the class series will no longer be grouped together. Unfortunately, all we can do is apologize for any inconvenience this may cause until we can learn how to alter the code of the site to sort lists the way we'd like OR until they work this into their coding in future updates.
- Any classes that can be taken as stand-alone within a series are always numbered in the suggested order. So if you wish to take them individually over a long period of time, you will always know which one to take next if you follow our suggested order.
- However, any classes in our Class Series do NOT have to be taken in the suggested order. They are designed to be stand-alone classes. In essence, what order you take them is up to you…except for our concluding lectures, which is a final lecture available to those who purchase an entire series. Those cannot be taken until the complete series has been read.
2. Where do I find the list of classes available?
Clicking on the ONLINE CLASSES menu item will bring you to the welcome page that talks about the type of classes we offer online. You should still see a link to the LIST OF CLASSES as well as a description of the color codes we use for our classes.
Either link/menu item will take you to a list of classes—both premium and free—available through our site.
Back to Top
3. How do I REGISTER on your site?
Before you can sign up for any of our classes, you'll need to REGISTER on our site:
- Hover over the ONLINE CLASSES tab.
- Click on REGISTER.
- Please complete the registration form.
- ACTIVATE your new account by clicking on the link in the confirmation e-mail sent to you.
- Once you activate your account, PLEASE LOGIN immediately to ensure your account is working. (Skipping this last step delays your enrollment, so please be sure to login right after you've activated your new account.)
4. How do I sign up for classes?
Before you can sign up for any of our classes, you'll need to REGISTER on our site. Please see the step-by-step instructions in the previous FAQ. Once you've registered and activated your new account on our site, follow these instructions to sign up for a class:
- Hover over the ONLINE CLASSES tab.
- Click on LIST OF CLASSES to bring up our list of premium and free classes.
- Click on the title of any class you're interested in taking. This will show you a description of the course content.
- If the class is FREE…
- Please click on the class name to view the class description.
- Click the JOIN CLASS button just under the description.
- This will give you access to all the class assignments associated with the free course.
- You can unenroll from a class at any time by clicking on the UNENROLL button just below the class description.
- If it's a premium class…
- Please click the PURCHASE CLASS link at the end of the class description to go to product page of the class.
- To purchase the class, please click on the ADD TO CART button for the class you want to purchase.
- You can continue to shop for other classes to add to your cart by repeating the above steps.
- Once you're ready to pay for your classes, click the CHECKOUT tab on the main menu where you can review and edit the items in your shopping cart and proceed to checkout. NOTE: Though we use PayPal to securely handle your payments, you DO NOT have to have your own PayPal account. PayPal will give you the option of paying with a debit or credit card without having to set up a PayPal account.
PLEASE NOTE: For premium (paid) classes, you may see a button at the bottom that reads REQUEST ENROLLMENT. The Request Enrollment button will only let us know you're interested in taking the class. Unless you've paid for the class, the enrollment will not be granted until the class has been paid for. We recommend avoiding the use of this button so as not to delay your access to the class you wish to purchase. Once you've purchased your class and we receive confirmation of payment, you will be given access to the course materials. Please allow up to 24 hours to receive access to your course materials.
Back to Top
5. Where do I find a list of MY classes I've signed up for?
Here's how you view a list of classes you've either joined or paid for and been given access to:
- Hover your cursor over the ONLINE CLASSES tab in the main menu.
- Click on LIST OF CLASSES.
- Just above the list of classes that appears, you should see a new, dark-blue menu bar. The default view is ALL CLASSES.
- Click on the link MY CLASSES just to the right of the ALL CLASSES tab.
- This list should be any free class you've signed up for or any of your premium classes. If you do not see a class on your list that should be there, please contact us and request assistance.
6. Can I cancel a class I've paid for and get a refund?
The short answer is if you've been given access to the course materials, then you won't be able to get a refund. Access to class materials are granted within 24 hour of purchasing your class, so that answer is usually going to be, sorry no refunds. Keep in mind that our classes are self-paced. There is no schedule to keep to, no classroom to attend online. You purchase a class. We give you access to the materials. You read them at your leisure and submit your assignments when you're ready. We then interact with you by editing those assignments. Please visit our Cancelation Policy page for more details.
9. I've started a class and had to stop in the middle. How do I get back to where I left off?
- Be sure you're logged in to our site.
- In the main menu at the top of the site, go to ONLINE CLASSES (hover) > LIST OF CLASSES (click)
- To get to your classes faster, click on the MY CLASSES tab to narrow the list down to only the classes to which you have access.
- Click on the name of the class you were attending.
- Scroll down below the description of the class and click on the COURSEWARE tab of the sub-menu.
- If you bookmarked your class (see next question to learn how to do that), just under the pie chart showing your progress, you should see a button that reads “Your last bookmark —>”
- If you did not bookmark your class, click on the COURSE DESCRIPTION tab and you should see a list of the lessons within that class. Just click on the lesson where you left off.
10. How do I bookmark a class and use my bookmark?
- See question 9 above to navigate to the class you want to bookmark.
- Once you're viewing the lesson you want to bookmark, you should see a grey box at the top-right portion of the lesson.
- In that box, there should be a button that reads “Bookmark this lecture”. Click on that button.
- When you leave the site and come back, navigate to your class—see question 8 above again and stop at step 5.
- As described in step 6 above, just under the pie chart showing your progress, you should see a button that reads “Your last bookmark —>” Click on that button to use your bookmark and take you to where you left off.
11. How long will it take for my instructor to grade my assignments?
The response time to our interactive, self-paced classes are based on your instructors current workload and your response time to the editing and grading process. Here are the procedures for how our self-paced classes are conducted through our website.
- You read your lesson and then complete your assignment by creating an MS Word document and uploading it to your student folder on our SkyDrive (see question 8 above for instructions on how to do this).
- Your assignment should instruct you to complete a quiz. How many questions are on the quiz will depend on the assignment, but there will be at least one question to answer. Submitting your answer will inform us that you've submitted your assignment for grading.
- When you answer this question, we receive an automated message that states you've completed your assignment. Please allow at least three (3) BUSINESS DAYS for your instructor to respond to this automated message.
- Your instructor will slot your assignment into her schedule for review, editing and grading.
- She will then inform you she has received your assignment and when you can expect to receive a grade based on her workload.
- When she has edited your assignment, she will upload a modified version of your assignment to your student folder on our SkyDrive.
- She will then grade your assignment in the gradebook, which will generate an automatic message to you, informing you your assignment has been graded.
- Follow the link in this message to view your grade. You can also view your edited assignment in your student folder to see your instructor's comments and communicate back and forth with her regarding her comments or questions she may have asked.
Some of the free classes offer quizzes that are automatically graded. However, the premium class assignments are edited and graded by hand, so they are subject to our schedules. We also do our best to balance work with our family lives, so we try to maintain “down time” on the weekends like any other job. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. You should not have to wait more than two (2) weeks to receive a graded assignment. However, if it will take longer, your instructor should be in touch with you letting you know of any delays. We pride ourselves on communicating with our authors.