Time for our weekly challenge – FICTION FRIDAY! (Posted on 9/26/2017. Back-dated to keep posts in order)
Writing Prompt #27
This week's writing prompt is an image from the Illuminati Tarot Deck, my personal deck of choice when I do readings. Yes…I also read tarot! Anyway, these images are traditional, and yet refreshingly beautiful with the graphic art techniques used by the artist.
As with most cards in the tarot, there is a story to be told and this is the Six of Swords. Who is this woman? Who is the child with her? Who is the man guiding the boat? Friend? Chartered boatman? Or more? What is the story in this image???
Guidelines for Writing Prompt
- Ponder the prompt for no more than 1-2 minutes, allowing your mind to form ideas.
- Set a timer for FIVE (5) MINUTES
- When the timer goes off, STOP WRITING. If you have to finish a thought or sentence, do so.
- Publish the prompt on your blog as an individual post. Please link back to this post.
- Come back here and post the link to your blog.
It's up to you if you wish to clean your writing up and do a little editing prior to publishing on your blog. But the point is not perfection.
Benefits of the Writing Prompts
There are many benefits to participating in this weekly challenge…
- Keeping the exercise to five minutes forces you to get to the point ASAP, which in turn helps you create catchy and engaging content from the very first sentence. You don't have a lot of time for story or character development, so every word begins to count. This can be applied to the opening of your books and stories, as well as the opening to each and every chapter.
- You also learn to create cliffhangers by the unfortunate event of time cutting off the story you're crafting. Cliffhangers are great for the endings to chapters and keeps readers turning the pages.
- Participating on a weekly basis helps you build consistency on your blog, which not only gives you more content for your newsletters, but it gives your visitors/readers something to look forward to each week. Giving people a reason to come back weekly increases your traffic and your search engine rankings.
- These prompts can lead to creating full beginning-middle-end short stories, flash fiction, or even stimulate ideas for full novels! I highly encourage you to develop those prompts that are particularly inspiring and publishing them.
- Reading prompts other people have written can help you learn by example, encourage you to compete in a healthy way, stimulate other ideas of your own, and develops a sense of community among fellow writers.
- This is a great way for all of us to network and build friendships online.
- Publishing the prompts on your blog/website and pointing links at each other helps you get more traffic. Not just from visitors visiting the links, but the more links you have pointing to your site/blog, the higher your search engine rankings! We all help each other by doing this.
I will be pre-scheduling these writing prompts so they will faithfully go up at 12:30 am PST every Friday to ensure all time zones will have the prompt available with little-to-no waiting. SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG in order to receive the notifications of when the prompts are posted.
I look forward to seeing what you all create!!